Fracture Liaison Service
Osteoporosis is a disorder that weakens bones and affects an estimated 54 million Americans making them more susceptible to sudden and unexpected fractures (broken bones). Osteoporosis is often symptom-free and frequently goes undiagnosed until a sudden and unexpected fracture occurs. Alarmingly, only 20% of patients receive recommended osteoporosis care following a fracture.
The Orthopaedic Group’s Fracture Liaison Service (FLS) addresses this problem by providing comprehensive orthopedic bone health care and education for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporosis. Our FLS Coordinator, Michael Brasher, MSN, FNP-C develops personalized treatment plans to reduce the overall fracture risk, accelerate healing, prevent subsequent fractures and break the fragility cycle. He is currently the only bone health specialist on the Gulf Coast certified by the National Osteoporosis Foundation and takes pride in giving the most comprehensive care possible to her patients.
You may benefit from a bone health consultation if any of the following apply to YOU:
· You are a man or woman over age 50
· You are a postmenopausal woman
· You are a man with low testosterone
· You are an adult who has been treated for breast or prostate cancer
· You have lost height, developed a hunched posture
· You have sudden back pain with no apparent cause
· You have taken steroids such as prednisone or cortisone for 2 months or longer
· You have a family history of osteoporosis
· You have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Kidney Disease or COPD
If you have additional questions about our Fracture Liaison Service or would like to schedule an appointment with Michael Brasher at The Orthopaedic Group, P.C., call (251) 450-2746.