MRI: What to Expect
An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is an imaging tool doctors use to look for and diagnose injuries that can’t otherwise be detected through X-ray. Doctors usually recommend an MRI scan for patients to look for joint degeneration, tumors, fractures, and other musculoskeletal damage or disease. MRI scans are performed at our Airport Boulevard location in Mobile.
On the day of your scheduled MRI:
- Plan to arrive 15 minutes early to complete any necessary paperwork.
- Be sure to bring your doctor’s order and your insurance card(s).
- You may eat and drink normally prior to your exam and continue to take your regular medications.
- You will be asked to change into a clinical gown that we provide. Please remove all metal objects from your body, including watches, jewelry, keys, wallets, cell phones, and pagers. Lockers are available to secure your belongings.
- If you have dentures, you may be asked to remove them.
- Please inform the office staff or technician if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
- If you are claustrophobic, please consult with your doctor about possibly taking a mild sedative before your MRI exam.
- During your exam, you will be wearing earplugs or headphones to protect your ears from the MRI machine making frequent loud noises.
- Following your exam, a radiologist will read your images and will report the results to your doctor.
See Frequently Asked Questions. To schedule a MRI or request copies of your report, please call us at (251) 450-2746.